Thursday, May 5, 2011

I Rest My Laptop On My Stomach When Using It. Is that bad?


It's not smart. Laptops can get very hot-more than 100 degrees Fahrenheit (that's light bulb-hot). While I haven't seen a case, I've read about "toasted skin syndrome," caused by contact with hot laptops. It's a chronic, low-grade burn and inflammation that can lead to permanent discoloration. Some experts fear it could raise the risk of skin cancer, but it'll be years before we have any good data.

Can it affect my ovaries?
In men, a hot laptop can over-heat the scrotum and cause fertility problems. But I doubt a laptop could transmit enough heat into a woman's body to harm her reproductive system. But why worry when it's so easy to avoid? Put some distance between you and the machine.

-Joann E. Manson, M.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment